Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: Oppo 205 - Any one purchased this player?

On Saturday, I installed a 205 that replaced a 105. My aim was primarily UHD, because I use an Ayre C-5xeMP for audio discs. I compared the 105, 205, and Ayre using my favorite CD of Corelli concertos, the Waltz for Debby SACD, and the DVD-A of Pet Sounds. I compared the 105 and 205 using Blu-rays of Legends of Jazz and the 2nd movement of Beethoven's 7th. The 205 is excellent with CDs and SACDs, but doesn't quite match the Ayre for a sense of transparency and imaging. Both Oppos severely failed to match the depth of sound stage and imaging of the Ayre with the DVD-A. Blu-ray audio with the 205, OTOH, takes excellent to superb. Last night I watched the UHD of Rocky Mountain Express that was filmed for IMAX. Both audio and video are spectacular. I highly recommend the 205 and the film.

The setup I used is an Ayre K-5xeMP preamp and VX-5 Twenty amp, KEF LS50s with a pair of Velodyne HGS-10 subs below 100 Hz. The monitor is a Sony 65 XBR 850.

db

Edits: 05/03/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.