We just put up a free 6 minute special session track of the beginning of the Mahler 3 recording, set for release next week. However, this version will not be included as it is a special outtake (with some dialog, etc).
What is nice is that it is available to anyone who is registered on the site, and available in ALL our formats (DXD, DSD64, DSD128 and DSD256) in both stereo and multichannel. Just go to the JustListen label page and download any and all.
Here is the description from the website:
In recognition of the Channel Classics release of the Budapest Festival Orchestra Mahler Symphony No.3 recording, (April 28) NativeDSD presents a session outtake of the Movement No.1 beginning. This clip was separately recorded using a natural perspective minimalist five microphone ITU alignment for surround in DSD256, and provides a unique insight to the collaborative effort of the session recording process. The original five channel raw DSD256 recording was also converted to, and available in 5.0 DSD128, DSD64, and DXD, and further mixed to stereo in the above four format bit and sample rates.
The Mahler 3 recording took place in the Budapest Bella Bartok National Concert Hall in two sessions: March 7, 2016, and March 27-29, 2016. This clip was from Take 2 of the 1st Movement, after a control room review of Take 1 with conductor Ivan Fischer, producer/recording engineer Jared Sacks, and several orchestra principles. In that audition, the tonal character of the bass drum at the movement beginning was discussed, and changes proposed for Take 2.
What's presented is an unedited DSD256 recorded session excerpt optimized for 5.0 surround sound by microphone selection and placement. It was later converted to the other DSD bit rates, and additionally mixed to 2.0 channel for stereo delivery. It's a backstage peek into a session recording of a major orchestra.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Free Mahler 3 session outtake in all our formats - ted_b 16:14:42 04/19/17 (12)
- RE: Free Mahler 3 session outtake in all our formats - hiredfox 00:35:56 04/23/17 (7)
- RE: Free Mahler 3 session outtake in all our formats - tailspn 09:54:38 04/23/17 (6)
- RE: Free Mahler 3 session outtake in all our formats - tailspn 09:59:05 04/23/17 (5)
- RE: Free Mahler 3 session outtake in all our formats - tailspn 10:01:09 04/23/17 (4)
- RE: Free Mahler 3 session outtake in all our formats - tailspn 10:12:56 04/23/17 (3)
- Great pics--thanks, Tom! Who are the soloists in DLVDE? (nt) - Russell 10:50:36 04/23/17 (2)
- RE: Great pics--thanks, Tom! Who are the soloists in DLVDE? (nt) - tailspn 12:06:31 04/23/17 (1)
- RE: Great pics--thanks, Tom! Who are the soloists in DLVDE? (nt) - hiredfox 13:42:53 04/23/17 (0)
- There is a problem with the DXD mastering - don't play that version - 13th Duke of Wymbourne 19:50:14 04/21/17 (2)
- RE: There is a problem with the DXD mastering - don't play that version - tailspn 09:48:33 04/22/17 (1)
- Stereo DXD file replaced - tailspn 08:53:51 04/24/17 (0)
- Thanks, Ted. - Jim Treanor 18:10:05 04/19/17 (0)