Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: Are Audiophiles here disappointed with multichannel?

Nope. The day I discovered Mch, a bit over 10 years ago, was easily the happiest day of my life as an audiophile. I never heard a bigger positive sonic difference in my life, and I was using my own system and room. I listen to little else but discretely recorded hi rez Mch.

Genre makes a huge difference, as others here have noted. My interests are classical and most recordings natively done in hi rez Mch are classical. I have thousands of such recordings. And, new releases keep coming. Mch choices are much fewer and of generally lesser sonic quality in other genres.

Among my 10 closest audiophile friends, about half are firmly committed to Mch. We all go to live concerts, all have systems in the $40k and up to over $100k range, and we frequently hear very costly stereos in over $100k systems. To us, the advantage of Mch over stereo is quite obvious. It is easily today's best sound reproduction, and it comes closest to replicating the sense of live performance, much more so than any stereo at any price can.

I think there is much ignorance and misunderstanding of it. Many Mch systems are not properly set up for music by audiophiles or even at dealerships. For some reason, dealers have a blind spot about it and relegate it purely to home theater.

The cost issue is also misunderstood. My sense is that at any price point at roughly $5-$10k or higher, one can always assemble a better sounding Mch system than a stereo. Part of that is just the obvious diminishing returns in audio we all are familiar with.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.