Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Digital download revenues on the way out

Just looking at the latest stats from the RIAA that have come out for US sales:

http://www.riaa.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/RIAA-2016-Year-End-News-Notes.pdf

"In 2016, revenues from sales of digital tracks and albums declined faster than in any previous year. Overall digital download revenues were $1.8 billion, down 22% versus 2015. Individual track sales revenue was down 24%, and digital album revenue was down 20% compared with the previous year"

I suspect that this year (2017), physical sales will exceed downloads again. They are probably already doing so, if you exclude ringtones (which get bundled with downloads).

The great revenue improver for the industry is streaming revenue which now amazingly comprises over 50% of all revenue. Streaming is not of much interest to the hi-res SACD community, as it is usually accompanied by the lowest quality sound (CD quality at best, if you are lucky) ... but I do use it as a method to help select my SACD purchases (for performance rather than audio quality).

Edits: 04/02/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Topic - Digital download revenues on the way out - Felixer 03:49:20 04/02/17 (6)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.