Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: Silly queston.

My brain hurts after trying to work this one out.

I think that the answer lies in whether the rip makes a true bit for bit copy of all of the information on the disc. Normally ripping software does not actually do this (for example it doesn't copy the track text information, ISRCs etc, at least as standard). So, in general, I suspect the rip will give you a 16/44.1 file as if it were a normal CD rip. Actually as MQA is lossy I suspect the result will really be less than 16 bits.

However if there was a kind of "pass through" option on the ripper , for example like the "Defective by Design" feature in dbpoweramp then you might end up with a file that contains all of the information for decoding via MQA.

Of course as you can (in this case) also download the MQA file from the label's website why rip it? However why download an MQA encoded 16 or even 24 bit file aside from saving a little time when you could easily download the original file e.g. 24/192 ? Outside of streaming I have difficulty understanding the purpose of MQA.

Still I don't think we will know for sure until someone tries ripping an MQA encoded CD.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Silly queston. - PAR 22:33:41 03/23/17 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.