Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: Just received notice that Classics Online will discontinue 2/1/17

Hi Alan,

I have spoken as promised with my contact in Sony Music and he says that as far as he is aware there has been no announcement internally about such a thing as Sony ceasing to manufacture CDs. He wonders if wires may have been crossed and that this is about Sony Electronics (another company).

As your source got the information from the Sony presence at CES this year that would tend to support the idea that this is not about CDs but CD players. Sony Music did not, as far as I can establish, appear at CES (which, I think, would not be a natural event for a record company to be at - I may be wrong). However Sony Electronics was there of course.

I think what this possibly boils down to is that 2018 may be the last year that Sony Electronics makes CD players. They have already more or less withdrawn from producing CD players for the audiophile area of their business but still make them for more mass market sound systems. So dropping CD altogether in 18 - 24 month's time seems a reasonable progression from their current position.

As my Sony Music contact said, CDs may be declining but they still represent a hefty portion of the company's sales. They wouldn't want to give that up.

So, of course, anything may happen in due course. This could, just as an example, include Sony Music per se stopping manufacturing CDs but continuing making them with a partner or as a joint venture (there's nothing to support this idea as having any reality either).

So there doesn't seem any evidence currently that Sony is going to stop manufacturing CDs (as in discs).

Regards

Pete

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Just received notice that Classics Online will discontinue 2/1/17 - PAR 10:08:00 01/28/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.