Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: Signs of Life from Pono

Did I say, "new life?" Thought I said, "signs of life." Discerning readers will understand the difference.

Yes I think it was alive until Apple chop-blocked them by buying the hosting company Pono used, then giving them a week notice they would cease hosting their database. That's what you call, corporate hardball.

So they had to find another server, and they went with 7music. It's taken them a long time to recover, but they haven't given up. I admire that about them. I also admire Neil Young for putting his money and effort into music he believes in; hi-res digital. The guy who used to be called, the analog-man. Really.

I have to admit I've never met anybody who has downloaded from Pono. Doesn't mean they're not out there.

I believe if Pono can survive Apple's throat punch it could do well. It sells 192/24 files for four or five dollars less than Acoustic Sounds or HDtracks, sometimes more. Pono could capture a significant share of the market if people figure that out.

I'm glad somebody responded, so I can give an update.

I think Pono went back to what their music player was originally. A program that could download the file, categorize it, play it, and load it onto the Pono player, or an SD card to be put in the Pono player. The JRiver based player had nice features like DLNA and Openhome support. The new player doesn't. I suppose if you want extras you will have to buy JRiver.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Big speakers and little amps blew my mind!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Signs of Life from Pono - Mr_Steady 10:01:28 01/15/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.