Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Turning on the remastering feature puts a load on processing power

And in turn that affects sound quality.

Yes, while you may now get higher density of data, but this comes at the expense of immediacy, dynamic contrast, and musical ease.

This issue of activating an extra digital-based feature putting extra strain on onboard dsp processing power leading to poorer sound quality has always plague their company's products.

Starting with all their DVD players - leaving the Dynamic Range Control (drc) on affects both SACD and CD playback sound quality, even though this feature is supposed to affect Dolby Digital sound tracks only. I've mentioned this more than a few times here. Search for "drc".

On their SACD players, there are much worse issues:
- setting player to default cd mode (reading the cd layer first) affected SACD playback
- turning on the optional slow filter affect SACD playback (even though this feature was supposed to work on cd playback only)
- setting player to default m-ch mode affects 2-ch SACD and CD playback. (Mentioned many many times here. Search the archives)

The m-ch / 2-ch default mode was the main reason why, on the xa5400es, the switching between both playback modes became implemented as a physical switch at the back panel, instead of digital-based activation.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.