Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: Synthesized center, or re-created center?

I do not know all the details, but both Mercury and RCA were recording classical music in the 50's with 3 mikes, including a Center. They were doing this before the standard for the stereo LP was agreed to. But, even after that, LPs were released for a number of years in separate stereo and mono versions. One story is that the center channel feed became the mono version. I tend to doubt that. Another story is that both the stereo and mono versions were mixes from all 3 mike channels.

Yet another story has the companies planning to release their recordings in "3 channel stereo" on mag tape before the stereo LP standard was finalized. It might be true that the only reason stereo as we know it has 2 channels is because that was all they could do on the LP, and the LP won out over mag tape because it was easier and much cheaper to manufacture.

All I know is that SACD remasterings of some of those old recordings are available with 2.0 and 3.0 channels on the same disc. The 3.0 version always sounds better to me.

I also think you raise valid points about the center channel. It makes a very worthwhile, positive difference. Some Mch setups think they can get away with 4.0/.1 playback - a phantom center with a mix of center information going to L and R. But, that never sounds as good to me with music. And, it is often a problem on dialog articulation with video.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.