Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Synthesized center, or re-created center?

I read somewhere a discussion with an early recording engineer, perhaps with RCA's Living Stereo brand.

His point was that 2 channels = bi-naural. To truly listen to stereo recordings you should have 3 channels, to replicate how the recordings were being done.

In my own experiments with HT and music I can hear what's going on. First, there is a midrange loss with stereo speakers vs. a center channel due to head related effects (HRTF). A true center channel sonds more present and with more midrange. Toole wrote about this.

Next, Neo6 has a VERY nice music mode. It's available on Oppo players, so I encourage you to listen for yourself. I find the effects quite enjoyable. It doesn't change imaging as much as make center instruments less dark. If you notice that instruments placed to the sides seem bright, but once in the phantom seem dark, this may be why.

Still, I wouldn't say this is worth a crusade over. :) I would just encourage listeners to try out Neo6 and a center channel.

Also, random thought, an acquaintance brought over a muti-channel SACD, but there was hardly any center channel output at all. Dire Straights I think.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.