Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: Looking for inmate opinions about multichannel

Going Mch, which I did almost 9 years ago was absolutely, without question and by far the most significant and enjoyable sonic upgrade I have ever done. It changed my life in this audio and music hobby like nothing else. I was convinced in 30 seconds.

I am a classical music nut who goes to many live concerts each year. Nothing comes remotely closer to the sound of live music than hi rez, discretely recorded Mch. For those not into classical music, you have my sympathy. There are just not enough quality Mch recordings in rock, jazz, etc. to justify the medium, sadly.

But, I have over 3,000 discs, mostly classical Mch and I have never been happier. Not even close. I almost never listen to stereo anymore, and I prefer not to use stereo-Mch synthesizers. But, some of my friends like that with stereo, though they prefer discrete Mch.

I think there has got to be a dealer, probably many in your area whose HT setup will play SACDs. That might be a start for you. However, those setups might favor video over audio in subtle ways, and might not deliver the ultimate Mch music experience. I would say that a key thing is to find a 5.1 system where the surround speakers are behind your shoulders rather than straight to the sides. The ideal angular configuration is 0, +-30, +-110 degrees from the sweet spot. Those angles are not absolutely crucial, but the closer you get to them, the better the experience.

And, there is a long list of other dos and don'ts for Mch. It is not complicated, but there is not good documentation nor a good user manual for Mch music anywhere. There are enough of us here to help you, though, Kal included. So, if you get beyond the tire kicking phase and you want to know more, let us know. I will be happy to compile my list of things to think about, and others cam chime in, if you want to start getting serious.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.