Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

I've been listening to multi-channel in my music system for almost 40 years...

It began for me in the late 70's with the good, old Hafler ambience extraction circuit which extracted an ambient rear channel signal by subtracting the L & R channels. Once I implemented that in my system, the increase in spatial aspects was so dramatic that I never went back to simple two-channel playback. I scrapped the Hafler approach years ago and now use a simple, modern AVR as a secondary amp that I feed the standard stereo signal from my preamp and set to surround mode to feed the two rear speakers. The AVR basically does what the Hafler circuit did (extracts the L-R signal) and amplifies it for the rear speakers. I have independent volume control of the rears and control of the delay time so I can set the effect to optimize the soundstage for any given stereo program. This approach has worked so well for me that I've never made the move to a discreet multi-channel system. The advantage is that it works with my very large stereo library of recordings as well as downloaded stereo files. I really have no desire to move to discreet m-ch since I get some much realism from this system.

I do agree, though, that a properly set-up discreet m-ch system is the best way to experience the advantages if one is starting from ground zero. Good luck!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • I've been listening to multi-channel in my music system for almost 40 years... - krisjan 13:20:08 09/22/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.