Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

"Ormandyisms"

Yes, I've seen those. Amusing faux pas brought about by someone for whom English was not a native tongue. (Actually, I'm guessing English was Ormandy's third language, after Hungarian and German.)

There may be a darker side to this. I remember a lengthy obituary of Ormandy published in Fanfare magazine (written by Roger Dettmer, IIRC). In it the author mentions this collection of verbal gaffes and suggests that it was collected and distributed by orchestra members wishing to subject the elderly conductor to public ridicule. (The assumption here is that the sheet was distributed in the later stages of Ormandy's career, when his relationship with the orchestra had started to deteriorate.) The author expressed his hope that Ormandy was not aware of them because they would have caused him pain and embarrassment.

I don't think we have any way of confirming or refuting this; I'm simply passing along what was in the article. What I find so amusing about the "Ormandyisms" is how often the intent comes through despite the mangled language. When Ormandy asked, "Who is sitting in that empty chair?"--well, there's a beautifully bizarre sort of logic to that.

Anyway, thanks for reminding me of these. I'm sure they're out on the web somewhere.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • "Ormandyisms" - Doktor Brahms 14:18:50 09/02/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.