Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: Steely dan

That's interesting. Although I have not heard before of anyone experiencing distortion when playing 16 bit files through 24 bit converters it does appear to be the case that some devices do sound better when fed with files of the optimum word length. Dr. Paul Miller, the editor of Hi Fi News in the UK, has written on this.

As I have said I think the solution to your difficulty could lie in the DSP functions of replay software. Many replay programs e.g. JRiver MC do have upsampling algorithms available and I expect that they may work in both word depth and sampling frequency domains. However I do not find that this facility is available in MusicBee. Your library would stay as is as the DSP only affects the file being processsed at the time of replay. In my own case I upsample all files to 24 bit on the fly (leaving the sample frequency rate unchanged by choice) but I do this in my hardware.

I guess that a more far reaching solution would be to change your sound card to something that does not give you this problem, either another board or an external DAC.

Edits: 07/09/16 07/10/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Steely dan - PAR 16:34:55 07/09/16 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.