Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Bryston BDA-3 DAC

I am surprised how little BDA-3 info *from users* there is. At least in "non-affiliated" forums. I see others around the web have commented on this too, including here (besides me!). Considering it was apparently their best-selling pre-ordered item ever...but I'll guess most of the "type" of people who *pre-order* things like this don't post in audio forums.

I am interested in it, but would like some more info (preferably in English) on the HDMI aspects as this is what sets this DAC apart, for now, as it's quite expensive here, in my terms. i.e. would I be better off with a new mch (HDMI) pre-pro instead? They can cost a lot less, from a mass manufacturer. Mass manufacturers don't do quality USB audio though, yet.

There is one aspect of the BDA-3 that is giving me big pause though: no digital volume control. I would like the option of connecting the DAC directly to the power amp. Since I have so many digital audio sources, that would all go into the same DAC (especially with the HDMI facility), this makes sense to me, no need to use a preamp when I'm not using the phono.

I am sure Bryston is hearing a lot about this aspect. So my "pause" is thinking a "BDA-4" may come sooner rather than later. Just my opinion; I'd really like to hear why this feature was omitted. I know Oppos have their own facility, but there's all the other stuff that doesn't. Joe Cynic here thinks the main reason is they didn't want to cut into their preamp biz, but they'd probably say "reduced audio quality". Heck, I wouldn't mind if they did it in the analog domain, using the same method as in their preamps, I mighty actually prefer that (IDK).

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.