Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

MQA DEMO (long)

On This past Saturday (5/21/2016) I gave a demonstration of MQA to the San Antonio River Audio Society. 18 people were present out of a membership of 25.The Equipment was as follows.
The latest B&W 2 way stand mounted speakers. A new Marantz integrated amplifier
The digital chain was as follows
MacBook Pro (Yosemite) running Jriver21. Lightspeed 10G USB cable. Regen powered by an outboard linear power supply. Short Curious USB cable feeding Intona Galvanic Isolater. USB cable provided by Meridian to Meridian Explorer2 MQA dac. Audioquest cable from Meridians 3.5mm output to RCA inputs on the Marantz amplifier.
Music files were from the 2L Audio testbench. Each track was a 16/44file and a MQA file both derived from the original 2L DXD master.
DXD is a 32bit/384khz format. 2L is known for its excellent sonics.
The 16/44 files were so good they made the comparisons rather difficult.
Each track was 3 to 5 minutes long. I would play the 16/44 first and then immediately play the MQA version. I then asked for opinions. Of the 18 people most gave no opinions. There were 5 people who I respect there opinions who did speak up. The word that was used the most describing MQA was natural. A general feeling that this is the way the playback of music should sound. Loud or soft the music just seemed to flow with a feeling of you are there listening to a live performance.
I have listened to all of these tracks several times each and they have an openness to them which is captivating. I think Meridian has something special here and look forward to Tidal streaming MQA. The rumor is that Tidal will include a software decoder in there streaming package. That means we can use any dac we want. Hope it happens soon.
Alan

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Topic - MQA DEMO (long) - ahendler 20:17:33 05/23/16 (30)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.