Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: Channel Classics getting out of SACD mostly

Thanks for that . Very interesting and it has made me think a little further.

I think that there is a bit of a confusion as to what chip does what. The Mediatek is a digital processor which is meant for multi-media machines. It also handles video formats, of course, as well as HDCD. It is, accordingly at first sight, unsuitable for dedicated SACD players using bona fide SACD mechanisms.

The Sony chip in question has a particular function specifically related to SACD mechanisms. It reads TOC and decodes the encryption of SACD. See the link to an archive bulletin which I think is about the Sony chip that is no longer in production.

So, while the Mytek chip (or similar) remains current SACD should be playable on new Oppo machines and, perhaps, some other multi media machines that may support SACD like the Ayre C5-XE.

Putting aside the players from boutique manufacturers which rely upon OEM transports and/or the Sony chip, Denon/Marantz and Yamaha remain as SACD player makers who may be large enough to have produced their own decoders. However it is proving hard to find out anything about what they use. Also, AFAIK, they do not supply other companies which limits the size of the continuing market.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.