Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Channel Classics getting out of SACD mostly

I purchased the recent Channel Classics Ning Feng release, which includes Lalo Symphonie Espagnole, from amazon.com and received a CD. I was very surprised by this, and wrote Channel. I received this reply from Jared:

"On looking at numbers of last year's sales, we could have saved almost 30,000 euros by releasing the CD instead of the SACD. Since 90% of sales are really for those that want the normal CD I had to make this decision. Except for artists where I know I can sell enough, I will have to just press the normal pcm and have the DSD files as downloads in stereo and Multichannel.
We release the music to promote the artist. If the artist does well we can sell our recordings. So the money saved can go to do what we are supposed to be doing. We could never really push the extra costs onto the consumer which meant we had to absorb this cost."

So going forward, it's unclear which if any recordings will be released as SACD, perhaps the recordings from Budapest but I doubt much else. As a result, we have Tchaikovsky Symphony 6 being released on both Channel and Reference Recordings later this month. On the other hand, the Lalo concerto, which is a mainstay of the classical repertoire and not yet available on SACD, will not be released on SACD. This bodes poorly for the format.

I know some of you are into MC DSD downloads, but I still prefer physical media. This is very sad. Channel was my favorite SACD label.

Edits: 04/23/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Topic - Channel Classics getting out of SACD mostly - diw 10:48:12 04/23/16 (55)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.