Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

I listened to this last night a couple of times through

Sadly, - my previous SACD is damaged, - so i didn't perform a back to back comparison.

I liked that he backed off the reverb on the vocals. I was expecting this to be muddy, but it wasn't. However, - it did seem more "closed in" sounding and seemed a lot more laid back. The instruments rang very true, and sounded "hi-rez" But I seem to remember the original SACD sounding more dramatic, and more dynamic between instruments, as each "player" instrument stepped up out of the mix and took focus in the song. The songs sound more cohesive with less "wow" popping out with individual instruments.

This was most noticeable on "too Rich for.." which sounded far less dramatic, and more "blended" I really did not like it. Especially the ending part with the drums.....

Finally, - after reading the liner notes, - it didn't seem to clear to me that he remixed directly to DSD from the original multitrack analog tape. Maybe I didn't read carefully enough, but it almost seems like he wrote that he remixed/re-mastered from the 5.1 multi-channel DSD file.. ???? I don't want to argue the point again, - so it's all good, - I'm wrong....

The final result is much different. It seems as though he wanted to take away the "wow" of the original disc, in favor of a "safer" more traditional approach. He specifically mentioned the reverb: bringing out a more realistic recording of the actual plated room. Was that reverb boosted in the recording studio during the analog rough track mixdown? Or, was it emphasized with EQ when it was mastered to DSD?

IMO, - it's all great music, and PBs best album. Even though I like it less so far, (and I see both sides of the changes) I'm sure that I'll be enjoying listening to it, and glad I bought it...

"Asylums with doors open wide,
Where people had paid to see inside,
For entertainment they watch his body twist
Behind his eyes he says, 'I still exist.'"

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.