Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Do affordable multichannel preamps exist any more?

Hi all,
I bought an Oppo 105 3 years ago, but have only used it for 2 channel so far. I'd like to get into multichannel as I have enough SACD's with 5.1 mixes that I'd like to hear now. So, I've been looking at ways to make that work. Since I'd like to run both the Oppo and a turntable, that rules out running the Oppo's outputs directly into a multichannel amp. I'd like to keep the preamp+amp budget under $2000 if possible. The Sony TA-P9000 is out of production now, it looks like the Nuforce MCP-18 was discontinued after a short production run. I haven't had any luck finding a multichannel analog preamp, at least not anywhere near my budget. Even a lot of the AV processor/preamps have been discontinued. I could consider used gear, but I really would like to be able to hear whatever I end up with before being committed to buying it.

Am I stuck being only able to consider an AV receiver with this budget or have I missed some important products? I'd like to make use of the Oppo's analog outputs and so many of the AV receivers seem bloated with extra digital processing I don't need. But if the sound quality is there and the price is right I guess having unneeded extras isn't so bad. I'd just like to try to make sure the money is going toward the features I actually want to buy if that makes sense.
thanks,
Dan

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Topic - Do affordable multichannel preamps exist any more? - dan_e10 12:50:56 04/01/16 (29)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.