Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: Marantz

I bought one of the first batch of SA7-S1 SACD players released in the UK (2008) and it has run faultlessly ever since. It is without question a fabulously detailed and musical player that for the first time makes digital sound like music and much of the credit for that is down to its analogue output stage where many top marques like dCS are weak and fail miserably. I believe it is here that Ken Ishiwata wove his special magical spell on this rather special machine.

The player is equipped with a Word Clock input and believe me anybody who owns one of these players should not regard it as pointless exercise. As good as timing is on the basic player - it is after all a reference level device - the addition of a good quality Word Clock will amaze you by the transformation it makes to PRT and the integrity and purity of notes and instrument timbre.

For several years I used a dCS Puccini U-Clock having also auditioned and rejected rival products from Grimm and Esoteric. It is so hard to describe the gains in musical enjoyment in words. It was utterly transformative in a holistic way that defies simple description in conventional hi-fi parlance terms. Simply put the concert hall stage is there before you in all three dimensions and even dynamic range and dynamics are stepped up a gear.

Just recently the Puccini was swapped for the much more expensive Paganini Clock also from dCS. I remain in total shock, you just cannot believe that what already sounded damned near perfect could be transformed even more and to a level that I doubt can ever be improved.

So if you can still find a good SA7-S1 do not hesitate, grab it and you are on your way to musical heaven.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Marantz - hiredfox 12:58:03 03/25/16 (3)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.