Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Right, in the 80s, (with rock) labels started taking more

control...

Intercepting the final mixes before the "master" lacquers/glass were cut at the distribution plant.

They would get 3rd parties to do things like re-order the songs, maybe cut a song, boost vocals, maybe even add compression there. This is the place where they (later) built the DSD files.

When one builds a DSD "master" from a PCM DAT, or analog tape, - It's not really so unfair to call that a re-master. Depending on the changes, sometimes a re-interpretive "re-mix."

I remember the Roy Orbison remasters, where (just my dumb opinion), they ruined them by cranking the vocals up to the point of absurdity.

At the end of the day, - I'd love to get a nice recording of the Yessongs concert: which just doesn't look like it'll ever happen. And, (again) not sure if anyone would agree, - but there was a lot of bad vinyl back in the day too. And at least some of those USA Atlantic Yes records really sucked....

Thanks again for all of your thoughts.

"Asylums with doors open wide,
Where people had paid to see inside,
For entertainment they watch his body twist
Behind his eyes he says, 'I still exist.'"

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Right, in the 80s, (with rock) labels started taking more - Sordidman 12:53:22 02/26/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.