Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

You're talking Audiophile Audition, right? (Not the TRUE AA - which is this site!) ;-)

Interesting that you should comment on that because I've been having trouble with the Audiophile Audition site for at least a couple of weeks now - probably something to do with the tracking cookie prevention add-on to my main browser (i.e., Privacy Badger with Firefox). (I just checked the site with another browser and it seems to be OK. So maybe I'll have to catch up today.)

Anyway. . . to your points:

I mainly use HDTT to get downloads of files which never made it to CD, or to get files of recordings where I was unhappy about some aspect of the CD reissue from the original/parent company. I have a number of the Steinberg/Pittsburgh HDTT reissues of Command Classics originals, most of which were never properly reissued on CD in that cheap MCA series years ago. Although the quality of the HDTT remasterings/reissues has varied over the years, all of the recent reissues (notably the ones which have the original album cover art) have been excellent indeed.

At the same time, spectrographic software will reveal that the high frequencies of these recordings (originally from 35mm film masters - which had even better specs than tape) don't even quite make it to 20KHz. You're right that many listeners do think that tape is the best format - I'm not one of them, but of course mileage may vary. Despite this, I do feel that HDTT does perform a valuable service with many of these reissues which are not otherwise available: they do a good job and I'm thankful they exist.

Back to Audiophile Audition now, and as for John Sunier's editorializing. . . well, all they are are his opinions, and, probably like you, I find often find myself in disagreement with them. In general, the reviews are OK (even though I frequently disagree with them), and I'm particularly amused by Gary Lemco's wordy, purple-prose contributions. (I keep thinking, "Hey, guy! Get to the point!" LOL!)

Regarding the Seattle Symphony downloads, I have only the Ravel/Saint-Saens Organ Symphony album. I agree with you that it sounds super, but I'm not always on board with Merlot's interpretations (balances, etc.).

As to your main point (Audiophile Audition can be annoying), I totally agree, but I still check the site for news and even for the reviews occasionally.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.