Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

There is a lot of misinformation in this thread.

The volume control on the Oppo 105 is the digital volume control that is integrated into the SABRE DAC. The Oppo upsamples data to a very high rate before conversion, and uses 32 bits. This leaves a lot of bits for the volume control before you lose resolution. I do not know exactly where in the volume control you start losing resolution, but you have at least the top 30%, and likely more that you can use without losing any sound quality.

A well implemented digital volume control has many benefits over an analog control. Assuming you are using a digital source, you would have to have a very expensive analog volume control before you approached the quality of the digital one that is built into the SABRE DAC.

That's the volume control aspect. Now onto the preamp issue.

It depends on the input requirements of the amplifier and the output specifications of your source. Some amplifiers maximize their output at 2 volts, some more, some less.
Look up some of the articles on Stereophile's website to get an idea. You then need to look at the manuals for your source and your amplifier to see if they will work well together.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.