Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Author misses the point

Reason why SACD (and DVD A) were not embraced by the masses is because the formats were not significant improvements over the CD. Mass market only responds to gross changes and is mostly oblivious to subtlety. With the notable exception of "perfect sound forever" the CD delivered on all it's promises. No pops or clicks. Smaller format. Audible difference that grandma could hear. And consumers responded. HiRez digital formats represent improvement at the margin of the market, not at the sweet spot of the market where most consumers spend their money. We have seen this over and over. DVD represented a significant difference compared to VHS, just like flat screen technology was noticeably different compared to tube tv. But Blue Ray and 3d have had comparatively little impact on the market, because both are incremental rather than significant improvements.

As many of us know, it does not take a very expensive system to hear the benefits of HiRez formats. Earlier this year I picked up a Pioneer Elite DVi79 universal player for less than $200 and it is more than capable of highlighting the sonic differences.

Best. Ross

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Author misses the point - Ross 14:00:38 09/30/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.