Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: Mahler 3rd

I usually just go with either Amazon or their often cheaper reseller partners, with the added $2.95 shipping.

I first bought the Abbado Mahler 3rd as a single to "get my feet wet" with the seres and with concert videos. I quickly realized I had to have the whole set of Nos. 1-7, made over nearly a decade of Lucerne Festivals, which I paid about $85 for. I do think the sonics, always good, gets somewhat better among the later recordings. The Abbado 9th from Lucerne was released separately last year, and is absolutely awesome musically and audibly. Still no Mahler 8th to complete the cycle as yet. It is my "go to" set of Mahler symphonies for maximum musical satisfaction. I cannot tell you how much the video adds to my enjoyment.

Other releases from the Lucerne Festival are also outstanding, with what seems like even better sonics on the recent Abbado Bruckner 5th, and what I find to be a very hauntingly excellent performance of the Shostakovich 8th with the Concertgebouw under Andris Nelsons, also done at the Festival. So, anything from the Lucerne Festival on Blu-ray A/V is an automatic buy for me. They are consistently among the very best concert Blu-rays.

A recording reviewer friend is so taken with these videos and performances that he is planning to go to next year's Lucerne Festival.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Mahler 3rd - Fitzcaraldo215 19:16:07 08/21/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.