Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

no need Robert ...

I've been debating SACD here for a very VERY long time ... against "those" who's understanding of audio reproduction in general is questionable at best. I knowingly knew I was going against the grain here, and took those initial anti-SACD "flaims" kinda like water of a raincoat ... because the beauty of time and experience ... is that it will eventually prove you ...

>>The bottom line is, that unlike some of us here, who have also excellent two channel rigs (yours truly) and rooms, and who have discovered a pathway to an unprecedented advance in sound quality, you have never experienced a pronounced improvement over your own current system or two channel technology. You have never experienced that revelation and you really do believe that two channel is as good as it can possibly get in recreating a live experience in the home. No! No! No! Well, I'm rootin' (not proselytizing) for you to have that "celestial" like revelation that I and others have experienced.<<

I'm game ...

Actually, I've had that "celestial like revelation" with my two channel setup on quite a few occasions. I'm not talking about mere improvement, I'm talking about having been re-education, a complete changing of ones mind-set.

But you've been "there" too ... right????

Most recently, my latest turntable setup (just a year ago) provides much more of a master-tape experience ... with CD, the Ikemi was (and remains) a true revelation ... my mono Classe DR3, unlike my prior amps, taught me all about proper frequency extension, how the dynamic envelope should encompass the entire bandwidth (something that must be heard to be appreciated) ... with speakers, cabinet bracing and complete rigidness plus a move towards xovers that contain far superior signal transmission characteristics ... and certain, vibration isolation measures totally opened my ears & eyes to the concept of the noise floor characteristics ... but perhaps the biggest revelation in that aspect, past actual equipment, was NOT ONLY when I discovered electronic isolation & but more importantly ... how to control & limit grounding (a lesson in overall transparency that I'd never thought possible).

Fact is Robert, even ardent long term audiophiles who've heard my unique 2ch system near always leave with a much MUCH different perspective on stereo recreation - as a pseudo live event.

But, certainly, I've been around ... I understand your point of view. The thing is, I'm insinuating that you've never heard any 2 ch system like mine, and you're insinuating that I've never heard any MC system like yours. Perhaps the truth is somewhere down the middle ... since obviously you've heard you're fair share and vise-versa.

Personally, recreating a pseudo live event is less about adding extra channels and more about capturing the information proeprly, much in the same way that many mono recordings can heighten the emotional aspect of music in ways many stereo offerings can't. (Fitzcaraldo215 lack of comprehension skills will probably cause him to make the totally incorrect assumption that I'm claiming that mono is ABSOLUTELY superior to stereo, much like he's done through-out this thread).

As we both agreed, the room is one obstacle, and can determine the environmental nature of sound for any venue, stereo room or studio. Yes, perhaps you may get a better understanding or feel of the hall or venue by adding it's "nature" to the mix via additional channels, but that aspect of "recreation" is not essential in recreating a pseudo live event, not by any means.

OK, I say that with caution, since it's slightly hypocritical of me as an audiophile. Case in point, when I play "natural" recordings I want to hear the actual venue, especially if I have experienced that same venue (trinity church or massey hall in toronto) before. When I listen to such recordings, I want to hear some form of recreation with that experience.

Yet, I achieve exactly that with my present 2ch system. The fact is (this is very important to understand) ... if I added more channels/equipment to my current 2ch system, within it's dedicated room, I will definitely fck-up what took me years to accomplish.

That is why I'll never change the makeup of my current system, although as stated, I'd have no issue building a MC system in a separate room HT based room. Look, I've heard some very good MC systems, (mostly PCM based, but lets not get into the silly PCM vs DSD debate) esp with well mastered live recordings, and they can sound amazing. Better than my 2ch system, well ... that's a matter of perspective ... but I can tell you something for certain, my 2ch system is more highly refined, and hence, has the capacity to be much more emotionally driven.

Robert, I appreciate all the "rootin" ... even it's condescending tonality.

tb1

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.