Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Sony/Philips BS

It's all BS created by Sony/Philips marketing. DSD is PCM, just a particular format, 2822.4 kHz at 1 bit. Sony/Phillips did their best to ensure that all the equipment was incompatible as well, in the hopes of milking the industry and consumers for their "invention" which wasn't anything really new in the first place.

It may be that listening to a recording in the "original" format, whatever that means, will sound better. But not always. It depends on many factors. For example, I have a 192/24 Mahler 6 that was originally tracked at 96/24, and these tracks played back and mixed on an analog desk and then captured at multiple digital formats. The recording engineer justified the higher sampling rate because it sounded better. This was a case of two digital generations at 96/24 and 192/24 sounding better than two digital generations at 96/24 and 96/24. Either way the recording sounds good, which is really the only point.

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.