Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: Chandos Masters: DSD or PCM? Real confusion!

Chris,
Thanks...this is good stuff. I am one of those DSD fans, rip hundreds of SACDs, and own a couple DSD-capable DACS (Meitner, Mytek, demoing an eXD one). But your detective work, and that of others, is quite relevant for all of us. Now that DSD recordings and DSD playback gear is becoming available, and usually coupled with great PCM playback as well.. it is important to get to the bottom of the ultimate goal....that is:
"I want to hear the recording in the closest format/generation to that of its master tape. If it's DSD, then let me hear it in native DSD. if it's PCM, then let me hear it in native PCM. If it's analog, then transfer it as cleanly as possible to one of the formats and let me know....(My pref is analog-to-DSD like the Analogue production folks, but whatever)". This means please do not convert from PCM to DSD and back again, then try to sell me it is native. If my DAC happens to do that internally, so be it...at least I know...but then its even more important that i don't have it on the front end.

Thanks again....

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.