Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: If given a choice and the same price for both - vinyl or 24/192

The files that I started with are 44/16, 88/24, 96/24, 176.4/24, 192/24, 352.8/24. The 44.1x family were auditioned at original or upsampled to 176.4, dsd64 and dsd128. The 48x family were auditioned at original or upsampled to 192/24, dsd64, dsd128. The 352.8 files were auditioned at dsd64 and dsd128. (The Mytek DAC doesn't play 352.8 PCM.) All playback was done by real-time conversion in a PC. Converting from 192/24 and 35.2.8 to dsd128 used up somewhat more than 50% of the available CPU in a 1st generation i5 running at 3.2 GHz. I was also doing room correction in these comparisons. These are all two channel files. One hour of music is at most a few Gigabytes. Nothing large compared to Terabyte disks. Most files were downloaded from the Internet. Most of my PCM files are stored in FLAC format which reduces their size by about 40% compared to WAV files.

The best sound in each case came from upsampling to DSD128, i.e. even native 192/24 files played through the Mytek directly at 192/24 were improved when first upsampled in the computer to DSD128. I have also converted dsd64 files to dsd128, but this conversion was not sonically advantageous.

The Mytek DAC uses the SABRE chip. The slow filter settings were used for PCM tests and the 70 kHz setting for DSD, as these appeared to give the best sound. HQPlayer has a large choice of upsampling filters. I found the recommended "poly-sinc-short-mp" sounded best.

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: If given a choice and the same price for both - vinyl or 24/192 - Tony Lauck 21:26:38 07/02/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.