Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: dots ...

***there are more "dots" to connect with MC, more to go wrong, more to get right, far more to spend, more to refine, more trouble than it's worth(?)***

Ha! I’m tempted to say touché. But more relevant you aptly used a description most often applied by audiophiles for *decades* to describe an audiophile level vinyl rig (smile). Just substitute audiophile level rig for “MC”.

But to your specific points:
“More to go wrong”: Like what? Since set up my SACD player needed repair. But that was not a multi-channel problem. Nothing else has gone wrong.
“More to get right”: In my experience the most difficult variable to get “right” is your two-channel performance. Multi-channel required that I used, for the first time (shame on me) audio tools such as a microphone and pink noise. The process resulted in my two channel sounding better than ever! For me because I have the space the other three speakers were pitifully easy to set up, just a few minutes. But no question you need to spend a few hours in set up. Then leave it alone!

“Far more to spend” Agreed! But no way does the surround part of your system has to match the price/quality of your two-channel system.
“More to refine”: See “More to get right”
“More trouble than it worth (?)” Are you kidding?
Multi-channel in the same system trounces two-channel in that same system (see below). It is without question the most profound improvement I have ever made as an audiophile.

Artfully disguised among your words is a grudging admission that there is at least the potential for improved performance with correctly implemented multi-channel over two-channel if only you had the resources, patience, and perhaps space to make it work optimally. Anything man made can be improved upon and that includes two-channel audio, even well done two-channel audio.

You should understand that before I improved my system to include multi-channel audio that I had, indeed *have*, a completely full range high-end two channel system with high quality vinyl playback. My system is both two-channel and multi-channel audio. I made no compromises to two-channel playback when I incorporated multi-channel playback. My two-channel system is the foundation for my multi-channel playback. It is fairly easy for me to directly compare the two systems. And my system run in two-channel (SACD or vinyl) simply falls far short of multi-channel playback in almost all areas. It is impossible to quantify but the two-channel set up of my multi-channel system probably contributes to 90% of the overall “sound.

For sure there are many (I am sure most) high-end two-channel systems that exceed the quality of most multi-channel (audio only), for some of the reasons (not all) you mentioned in your “dots” analogy. As you point out you have not encountered any that improves on your two-channel system. That is not at all surprising given the quality of your system.

But that is comparing apples and oranges! How about this? If you could somehow manage to incorporate three more of your Energy Connoisseur speakers placed optimally with appropriate hardware you will have an apples to apples comparison. I would wager that, given the attention to detail you have given your current system, you would be stunned by the improvement with respect to realism. It will not be subtle as when one fiddles with most stuff in audio; the improvement will be profound and faithfully palpable in a way you have never experienced in your system. In many ways your two-channel Energy Connoisseurs will be rendered inadequate by the 5 channel Energy Connoisseurs counterpart. This would be the case if you, like me, allocated less expensive gear to drive your additional speakers.

I see that you listen primarily to rock. I do agree with you that there is no serious correlation between a multi-tracked heavily compressed and processed rock studio recordings and a live rock performance unless the multi-channel recording was, in fact, of a live performance.

Robert C. Lang

Edits: 06/29/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.