Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: Is SACD superior to vinyl?

Nice system. So, what is your SACD player?

Sorry to say this, again in my opinionated way, but I love jazz. Unfortunately, the number of great, realistic jazz recordings in any medium, is relatively small, notably on SACD. That is not to say that there is not a lot of great jazz music in recordings, much more on vinyl than anywhere. But, between crappy venues, which vary much more even than do classical ones, and prediminanently studio recordings, I honestly think that judging the naturalness of the sound is rather tough using jazz as a genre. For example, a studio recording will never sound like a live performance. Performers will never sound the same in club A as in club B, and so forth.

With classical music, I can go to the halls and hear the orchestras in them, and I have done so. Occasionally, I was there when a recording was made here in Philly, and those have become some of my reference standards. And, I can go back repeatedly and not only listen to the music, but I can get a strong sense of the sound of that orchestra in that hall with other music. Yes, acoustic memory for details is relatively short, but I think one builds up over time a fairly good sense of live sound in the hall, such that one is better able to judge recordings for their sense of "aliveness". Concert halls vary, but there are usually more similarities than differences. That is not true of jazz clubs, in my experience.

As much jazz as I have heard live, I think that judging recorded vs. live is much tougher to do.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.