Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: Is SACD superior to vinyl?

I will not criticize you for disagreeing. You are entitled. We do not know what your system is or the extent of your live listening experience, but I assume you listen in stereo at home. No doubt that vinyl has and will continue to have many admirers. I feel I know exactly why, after decades of experience with it. You may like it, but I do not. I have heard something much better, IMHO.

But, do not get me wrong. I do not consider CD or even stereo SACD to be a major advance over vinyl. They are all fairly close in their abilities to reproduce a live concert event. It depends as much as anything on the engineering, not the medium.

One of my best friends is a recording reviewer of some note. He will not say so publically, because he still reviews the odd LP. He probably attends 30-40 live concerts/year vs. my own 20-30. But, he agrees with me completely. Vinyl is very listenable and euphoric, but it is far from real sounding. But, everyone has to make their own judgement as to that. Between us, we count most of the "great" LP's, including many OOP direct to disk "records to due for" that are worth a small fortune.

It is very tweakable, and as pointed out here, no two vinyl systems sound alike, though they often have similar general characteristics. My point was that, even at it best, vinyl via a super tweaked setup in an all out, super expensive system with impressive component by component reviews left some of us shaking our heads once again. Compared to our new champion, which is hi Rez Mch, it does not come close. But, you have to do it with the room's huge acoustic signature removed from the equation, a major barrier to sonics from systems of the past. That is something that cannot be done with vinyl, without ether great expense in passive treatments or other potential side effects. And, by the way, the price of admission is much, much lower our way to a higher level of realism. Older is not always better, in this regard. If you have not heard it under conditions of decent setup and gear, you are missing something very special.

But, in the end, to each his own.

Edits: 06/25/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.