Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: BIS SACD - Dynamics in general

Disbeliever said: "I admit I know very little re recording technology, however I do know what I hear and that is I find BIS SACD discs out of step with all the other major labels for playback volume levels especially with their claim that they are the only one with uncompressed dynamics So they are right and all the other majors are wrong ? I have not read any CD/ SACD reviews complaining re lack of dynamics from other labels.Good luck to those who have no problem with BIS playback levels. I shall not be buying any more BIS discs which even the BBC say need volume level adjustment."

I know that I have been advised to just let it go, but i cannot have someone quoting me saying something I haven't said.
The logic I will not repeat yet another time is unassailable. Mr. Disbeliever obviously doesn either not understand it, or is disbelieving. I have talked to a number of colleagues that do admit to taking down the very loudest parts in order to get the general (average) level up. I have never said that everyone does it, nor would I ever accuse (if that is the correct word) them of doing so. I just maintain that the logic points in that direction, IF Mr. Disbeliever is correct when he states that all other labels have a louder average level. I have even admitted that in some cases it is possibly preferrable to adjust the levels for easy listening at the consumers' homes. It is a matter of basic honesty with me not to do so, advisable or not, and that's an individual choice, good or bad. It is at least honest that Mr. Disbeliever confesses to knowing "very little" about recordings (surprise, surprise!!), but, if that is so, why doesn't he skip the "Dis" in his moniker and listen to someone that does know a bit or two??
It is almost pathetic that he refers to BBC in almost every post. The situation is VASTLY different with a radio producer, who has to cater to people with perhaps small radios or car radios in an analogue broadcasting system, rather than the audiophile, sitting at home with a decent system. I cater for the latter.

So, to cap: if listening pleasure or ease with the consumer is the main goal, there is no right or wrong. So I certainly don't say that all the others are wrong. However, if the goal is to present what the Artists did, adding or subtracting nothing, then "my way" is the only possible one. As soon as the recording engineer starts twiddling the controls, he is usurping the power of the musicians. Logic, Mr. Disbeliever, logic. try it sometime. It is not that difficult, but infinitely rewarding.

Robert von Bahr robert@bis.se

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: BIS SACD - Dynamics in general - bissie 11:32:58 06/17/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.