Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

that wasn't the point

I know what you're referring to, but I did say it was a topic for another thread. The limit that SONY suggests for DSD is -6dB. I believe Cookie Marenco and Barry Diament, among others, master below that. And with PCM, the hard limit is above the limit for distortion-free conversion in most D-A converter (-3dB seems to be the max peak level from the discussions that I've read).

Crap. That's another thread, damn it!

Anyway, the point was that bissie said his label masters the recording such that the level, which I interpret as at least one peak, will reach 0dB. Even if the music only reaches 0dB once in an entire recording, end of discussion. The rest of the music can average -20dB and he's still giving an accurate representation of what his company does. If no peak ever reaches 0dB, or at least very close to it, there's a bit of explaining to do.

Now, if I misinterpreted what he said here at AA, I welcome him to correct me/clarify and urge him to set the record straight.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.