Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: BIS SACD - Dynamics in general

I would be much more impressed, Mr. Disbeliever (what a moniker...), if you only once actually answered my logical reasoning. If I put the loudest part at the loudest allowed level (zero dB) and let all controls stay untouched during the whole recording, how can my results in dynamic respect be anything but original and therefore true? That you write that "BIS is wrong" is utter drivel, as long as you don't answer the question of what is wrong with my reasoning. If my colleagues claim that they leave the dynamics untouched as well, their dynamics, all things being equal, would be exactly as mine. If they're not, as you claim, logically there follows that they must have tampered with the dynamics. When you point me at the fault in my reasoning, I will start respecting your opinion. For the time being I claim it is opinionated, biassed drivel.

To Fitzcaraldo ("Robert - I agree that classical recordings should be uncompressed, and I follow the logic of what you do in your own recordings. But, it seems a stretch to extend your logic to some of the other fine labels in hi Rez classical recording. It seems you do that by inference rather than by actual knowledge. Or, am I wrong in that assessment?").

This is pure physics, not opinion. Pure logic and nothing else. I am not claiming that we do better recordings than our colleagues, but, if in fact their "average level" is louder than ours (which is another way of describing a smaller dynamics, given that our top level invariably is 0 dB), then the conclusion about dynamics is unavoidable. That I personally happen to know, from talks with leading colleagues in the business, that it is a fairly common occurrence to "smooth out the edges" makes me even more sure, but isn't logically necessary, and, since those "confessions" were made in privatum, I cannot divulge who said so.
You also write "choose an average level". This is not, with us, true. We don't choose any level except the top one. All other levels are set by the Artists and the music they're playing. On the contrary, if any producer "chooses", that is *actively influences*, ANY level, be it average or other, he has necessarily tampered with the dynamics, which latter no longer is original. This conclusion is based on logic and is also linguistic.

I don't mind in the least if people have problems with our original dynamics. It is the only way I can truthfully present and represent the Artists and what they did. But I do mind being called (indirectly) a liar by the "Disbelievers" of this world. It would suffice entirely, if he had written that he is disturbed by the dynamics and/or the sound quality. That's legitimate. To imply that we are actively tampering, e-x-t-e-n-d-i-n-g the dynamics is bollocks, pure and simple. 'nuff said.

Robert

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: BIS SACD - Dynamics in general - bissie 13:05:49 06/16/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.