Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: Noise levels and dynamic range

"I think the ultrasonic noise shaping hump of SACD is sonically of not much consequence."

I agree with you, but it may be system dependent. The ultrasonic noise factor for SACD depends on the noise shaping used in production and the filtering used in playback. Perhaps even more critical is the ability the equipment downstream of the DAC to deal with this high frequency noise.

I am playing Channel Classics DSD downloads through a Mytek Stereo192-DSD DAC into Focal near field monitors, with advertised response to 40 kHz. The Mytek offers three DSD filters, rolling off at 50 kHz (default), 60 kHz and 70 kHz. It took very little time for me to realize that the best sound was to be had with the 70 kHz roll off, presumably because the high frequencies did not bother this system, which has 4 way electronic crossovers. (Don't ask me why I hear this difference. If am in my late 60's and can only just hear sine waves at 14 kHz.)

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Noise levels and dynamic range - Tony Lauck 19:43:29 06/12/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.