Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: So the big question is...

If anyone would name two or three BIS recordings that have "excessive" dynamic range if they match some of the ones that I have I will look at them with an editor and look at what is going on. Most of the BIS recordings that I have are 44/24 downloads of the masters, some 88.2/24, prior to conversion to DSD. It would be interesting to compare some of the DDD and ADD or AAD recordings.

Some of the Channel Classics DSD downloads are even "worse" in the sense that the peak levels are low. However, with DSD there is no way to increase the volume over the original recording level without loss of resolution and one wants conservative levels in the first place to minimize the chance of the recording being ruined by overload. Even with PCM there is some loss of resolution in performing volume adjustments during the production process, so once a recording has been made one it is best to leave it "as is" and let the customer make necessary volume adjustments, unless one is selling recordings to idiots. (The exception would be if there are technical flaws in a recording requiring processing, e.g. EQ, in which case one may as well increase the peak levels since there will be no further loss of resolution by doing so if one is using one's tools correctly.)

If your room, neighbors, system or ears are not up to snuff you can always listen to chamber music, some of which was written to be background music and should be performed with limited dynamics.

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: So the big question is... - Tony Lauck 19:30:57 06/12/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.