Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: wow 118db's !!

I do not listen at 118 dB. This figure comes from the manual for my monitors. The manual also includes a warning about possible hearing damage.

I play most recordings at a volume setting about 20 dB lower than what the system is capable of, which means instantaneous peaks just under 100 dB and fortissimo orchestral passages at an average of 85 dB, about the same level you describe. Anything louder for more than a short period will result in hearing loss. However, I know that the system still plays cleanly after increasing the gain by 20 dB from this usual setting, but I have to be in the hallway outside the door at the back of the room at this point.

The confusion comes from the difference between peak power and average power. For a sine wave, this difference is 3 dB. For a typical recording of a symphony orchestra this difference is more like 20 dB. The better the recording the more power will be required to handle peaks. A typical current pop/rock recording will have a ratio below 10 dB, which means that you can destroy your hearing while creating 1/10th the greenhouse gases. :-)

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: wow 118db's !! - Tony Lauck 09:29:20 06/10/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.