Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

BIS Dynamic Range

Agreed that this thread is surreal. Agreed also that BIS tends to use a lower average level than most other producers. But, unlike many here, I do not think this is in any way connected to dynamic range. Robert, bissie, implied that over at sa-cd.net. But, I find that to be false. I do not find the dynamic range of BIS recordings to be any better than that of many other recordings. Nor, do I think that Channel, Pentatone or a host of other excellent recording teams apply any dynamic compression, unlike many producers of rock music. Regardless of whether the recordings were made in DSD or in PCM/24 bit, there is an ample superabundance of dynamic headroom in the recording and playback stages, much more than humans can actually hear, especially in almost all home listening rooms.

It is just about the producers' choices of average level. The notion that there is a "correct" level is simply naive and presumptuous, if not downright moronic. Unlike the movie business where there is one, no standard level has ever been established in the music recording business. It has been that way since time immemorial. Producers are therefore completely free, especially with hi Rez media, to choose whatever average levels they wish, knowing that a simple volume adjustment on playback will bring everything into proper focus. The notion that BIS is wrong and everyone else is right is plain stupid.

I find it true on virtually all recordings that I must tweak the volume setting for optimum playback level that satisfies me. What on earth is the big deal about turning it up somewhat more for a BIS? There is absolutely no downside, no stress on the playback system to turn the volume up a few dB more for a BIS than you do for the others to achieve the same subjectively optimum level. And, I personally find that adjustment to be worthwhile, as there are many excellent sounding recordings in the prolific BIS catalog, in many cases adding unique hi rez Mch repertoire not duplicated on any other label.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.