Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: BIS SACD

There are no standard recording levels in music recording. Yet there is a playback level that sounds right with each recording. Yes, BIS uses a much lower typical level than most other producers, so they are atypical, but usually consistent within the label. But, all is well if you merely turn up the volume control to get a level that sounds right to you. I honestly do not understand the fuss. It is what we have had to do since the LP, not just with BIS, but with many other recordings.

On my system a "typical" setting for Channel, Polyhymnia, Telarc, etc. might be about -12 on my prepro. BIS sounds right at about -8 or -8.5, and they typically require this volume crankup more than just about anyone else. At the other extreme, Pragas might require about -18, and the Melba Bach Organ Sonata Recording about -22 or -23. Your optimums may differ even on a relative basis.

The BISs sound excellent to me if volume is properly adjusted. That is what volume controls are for. But, we really have to do it over quite a wide range on a recording by recording basis. Over time, you get to memorize just where to set things even before pushing play. But, fine tuning may still be necessary.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: BIS SACD - Fitzcaraldo215 10:40:19 06/09/12 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.