Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: BIS SACD

Minimal compression is beneficial for home playback systems, most, and that includes some of the better high end systems that I am familiar with, simply can not cope with the dynamics of a symphony orchestra.

That said, I am glad that we have BIS, my only problem with BIS is their choice of orchestras that they record, wish we could hear Vienna Philharmonic uncompressed but that is not going to happen.

On my two channel home system I have come fairly close to reproducing BIS dynamics with minimal compression, the solution is to use power amplification that offers 10 times more power than is needed for the loudest passages and the speakers must be bi-amplified to avoid congestion at louder passages, I have a DIY speakers with dual 15” for the low end and a three way upper end based on older JBL studio monitors, like any speaker the name of the game is compromise, this one with 99-96 dB sensitivity will handle BIS, (our closest neighbor is 250 feet away).

Speakers with variable sensitivity such as B&W’s, (and I do have B&W's) where the real sensitivity drops down dramatically at higher volumes are ideal for BIS as they introduce their own audio signal compression at louder passages making the uncompressed signal somewhat tolerable.

I am primarily into classical, half of all my SACD’s are solo piano, my ultimate BIS test recording is Rachmaninov sonata #2 played by Sudbin, if you think orchestral dynamics are tough try this one at full volume.

Vahe

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.