Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: For the most part I agree

Jazz is actually the worst case scenario. Today we have lots of technically gifted musicians coming out of music schools but few with their own voice, they all tend to sound the same. As Ellington once said the moment a musician goes through a music school he looses is own voice (Identity)
Today there is certainly ,no Monk, Ellington, Mulligan, Davis, Getz, Parker,Lacy, Webster, Evans, Gardner, Hodges, Fitgerald, Coltrane, Holiday, Vaughan, McRae, etc etc
I started to buy lps in the 60's and all these names where around and I rarely bought a bad lp. They was lots of jazz on the radio then and one could form an opinion before buying, today we mostly rely on 30 sec sound clips.
I still buy jazz cd's but few have a lasting quality, they are more
modern players that started in the late 60's early 70's such as Corea, Shorter and Jarrett that do have a voice of their own but they are few.
As far as recordings I suppose that sound quality was not as important to me then as it is today, but the enjoyment of music was not affected
by it as music was the key factor.
I know that you like the Hank Jones July SACD's try to give a listen to Corea, Motian, Gomes latest effort "Further explorations" unfortunately it is only RBCD but the recording is a knock out and the performance
on some tracks as good as Evans Village Vanguard recordings.
(It is one of Evans rythm section after all)
It is so rare today to get the performance and the sound to be at such high level.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: For the most part I agree - jazz1 13:12:20 05/12/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.