Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: It's minimalist vs. multi-miking

He has demonstrated himself to be even more of an idiot than I once thought. The Pyramix recording workstation Sound Mirror uses has nowhere near that channel capacity. Nothing does. For DSD recordings, they use DXD, which maxes the Pyramix out at 48 channels, but I do not think Sound Mirror gets close to even that from what I saw.

It is true that there has been a never ending debate between minimalists and believers in extensive multi-miking, between coincident pair and spaced omnis, going back to the 1950's. From my perspective, and especially today, the minimalists have been the losers among commercial recordings, and yet they are the true believers with much sour grapes, often to the point of irrationality. The Cat boy is a classic example.

I used to hate the DGG sound in stereo, which used many mikes and extensive spotlighting. All I can say is, vive la difference today. If Sound Mirror's great recordings, like the Boston Brahms: German Requiem or the Mariinski Shostakovich First and Fifteenth, sounded anything like that in Mch, it would be a different story. The fact is they don't. Ditto for many Polyhymnia multi miked releases. Ditto for many other great teams. Times change, and flawed techniques can improve to the point that their older failings can be virtually eliminated. That is exactly what I am hearing with the output of today's best recording teams in Mch. Many of them in Mch are the best recordings I have ever heard in reproducing live concert hall realism.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: It's minimalist vs. multi-miking - Fitzcaraldo215 12:13:55 05/04/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.