Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: what scares me about this stuff...

Lew -- I have not heard the Esoteric SA-50 and I am not claiming the Denon DCD-A100 sounds better. I just thought I would point out, since I gather you do your own mods, that there is what appears to be a relatively simple mod that (reportedly) improves the sound of the SA-50 and that this mod happens to be installing the same dac chip that comes stock in the Denon DCD-A100.

The Esoteric SA-50 is $4K at Music Direct (and they have one left at last report). The Denon, by contrast, is $1.5K. Is the SA-50 worth $2.5K more? Impossible for me to say, but the Denon sounds so amazing in stock form that, if you threw an additional $2.5K at it in the form of aftermarket AC and RCA cords as well as resonance control (and possibly mods?), I bet it would at least hold its own against an SA-50.

And yes, the Denon DCD-A100 has digital inputs. The back panel has coaxial and Toslink inputs (see picture, below), and the front panel has a USB input, although AFAICT the USB input will NOT work with a computer. Rather, it's for an iPod or similar device.

But, if your Mac has an optical output, you could use that into the Denon's Toslink input right up to 24/192 and achieve excellent results. I am using a Squeezebox Touch into the Denon's coaxial input and have been very impressed with the sound. Formerly, I was running the SB Touch into a W4S DAC-2.

Not yet having formally shot the Denon out against the W4S, I am not prepared to say one sounds better than the other. From memory, though, I would say they are different flavors, but in the same league (although the W4S has the clear advantages of XLR outputs and variable volume and balance controls).

As I was typing the above, it occurred to me that, for the price of the SA-50, you could buy a DCD-A100 AND a W4S DAC-2, get the best of both worlds, and still have @ $1K left over for cables, software, etc.!

Good luck with your decision, and please let us know how you make out.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: what scares me about this stuff... - Mudshark 08:56:57 05/04/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.