Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: the role of the center channel

Yes, I realize the Barbican itself is a problem for the LSO,which is why I said "one of several" problems. It is a shame, because the LSO is a top notch orchestra. But, I also believe that producer Mallinson's chosen Classic Sounds Ltd. recording team is another. When Classic Sounds replaced Sound Mirror after the first two Mariinski releases - Shostakovitch The Nose and Syms. 1&15 - the sound quality declined - same orchestra, same hall. Reviews at sa-cd.net seem to confirm that the decline has been fairly consistent since then. Among other things, Classic Sounds eschews a discrete center channel, unlike Sound Mirror. That may not be the whole story about that decline, but I think it is an important part. Very few LSO Live recordings achieve top marks

And, yes, the advantages of a discrete center are quite obvious in 3-channel RCAs and Mercurys. Given that, it would be contrary to all logic that that would not also be true in all Mch recordings.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: the role of the center channel - Fitzcaraldo215 19:53:40 05/03/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.