Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Multi-channel and the FDA

Since I have 5 maggies I agree with you but I have the caveat that I am sure you agree that the source recording is critical.

It almost seems as if the industry (the very small multi-SACD industry)is like the FDA: be effective but do no harm. Most recordings (DG, Channel, Telarc) want to be sure to not do any more than a suggestion of ambience. Others are more willing to take risks to "transport".

In particular, I recommend the Hyperion recordings of Bach Keyboard Concertos with Angela Hewitt. Hyperion seems to be just dabbling with occasional multi-SACDs but these recordings are phenomenal! The individual piano in particular is as real as any I have heard live (and I have one in the house). I have heard Hewitt on the same Fazoli piano live and up close. The fullness and warmth of the orchestra and individual flutes, violins, etc. is BETTER than I have heard in concerts. Perhaps that is not fair because there is nothing in my room to interfere with the sound of these instruments, but MY GAWD!

If I could get recording quality like this in anything else I would "spare no expense"! If possible I may be wearing these discs out.

Now this is the Absolute Sound (according to the "live" definition. It IS possible.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.