Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Beautifully cogent argument.

Stumbled in here, first time post here (I think). I hope no one minds me commenting; I apologize as MY hi-rez is LP (someday, maybe...if I could stop buying so much other stuff).

Live music, or the memories of such (and not that trustful anyway), is the ony true reference. With that I agree. But many people, especially in some small rural areas, do not have the good fortune of being able to listen to live music. Here in this small town (we just became "urban" by those who decide such things), we have the good fortune of having a very active school of music though Wilson College. Andrew Sussman, the director, is responsible for bring in some great Jazz artists.

But my point is that many HAVE to use recordings as reference. Which recordings chosen are of paramount importance, however. Also, if possible, hearing those reference recordings on others systems than your own can teach you a lot about the strengths and weaknesses of our system (or an upcoming purchase).

I think most choose from suggestions by other people, friends, inmates, of course, and (shudder) reviewers. The really great performances with great sound are a rarity. They are invaluable as music listener teaching tools as well as evaluating equipment.

I suppose there are those who feel a well-loved piece of music is NOT a great tool. The argument of not being able to pay attention to particular details of the sound is often cited. I'm not of that school of thought. Along with great sound, great performances (of course) either move you or not; you cry or you laugh...music as and is life.

I know this is a hi-rez forum, but I thought those of you who "do" vinyl, as Hank Jones' recordings are mentioned (I'd get an SACD player just to hear the July 5th and 6th I've seen cited just today). "Hello Hank Jones" was a direct to disc LP done in the late 70's. It may just be the best sounding LP in a collection of about 10,000 I own. Great Jazz, great sound.

Other reference you may be impressed with are the LPs from The Soundsmith, Direct Grace recordings. They are about as close to "live you are there" as anyone could ever ask for.

Again, I apologize for butting in and the "wrong forum, buddy" but really was impressed with yours and everyone else who had added to this thread.

AND, is there a CD of that SACD

Music. Window or mirror?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.