Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Sheffield Lab D to D discs

I have several of the Sheffield Lab D to D discs. I have three of them before me as we speak. They are the Leinsdorf/Wagner, Leinsdorf/Prokofiev, and the Sheffield Drum Record.

I do agree that they really don't sound that good to me.....now. But they sure sounded great (to me) back in the late 70's or 80's and beyond. Having now garnered 30 years of live acoustic music experience I have learned quite clearly that these discs fall much farther short of a live music experience than most of my modern classical music discs ...and this is without consideration to multi-channel. There seems to be an "artificiality" of the orchestra as a whole even though the tonality of individual instruments sounds fine.

Although, I find these discs to be easily and regularly bettered in my SACD music collection I would not call them "terrible", although they do not meet my "modern" standards.

I also agree that the performances are on the lackluster side sounding measured. The musicianship (perhaps the conductor) is not always "sharp" or crisp.

The big loser to me is the Sheffield Drum Record. When compared to live performances the sound and dynamics of the drum kit is a distant second to the Hank Jones "July 6th”. Hank Jones sound far closer to the real deal.

Robert C. Lang

Edits: 03/31/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.