Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: Yes - Telarc's later recordings used lots o' mics

The early Telarcs, including the pre-digital recordings, were done with minimal miking, which was modeled after the Mercury Living Presence technique. The two owners of Telarc, Robert Woods and Jack Renner, built their reputation on this. Their first digital blockbuster, "The Cleveland Symphonic Winds" with the Holst Band Suites, clearly states in the liner notes that three omni mikes were used.

At some point the miking began to change, especially when other engineers besides Renner, joined the company. The problem that all companies face is that multi-miked recordings can be more spectacular, although less realistic in the soundstaging. Companies produce what sells.

I still have the Sheffield Direct-to-Disc Leinsdorf recordings. They were well received, although a lot of cartridges had trouble tracking the grooves. The recordings were done on a movie soundstage, which came under criticism for the perspective. On the right system the recordings could sound tonally correct, very expansive at climaxes, with a big dynamic range. I've heard them sound very impressive on some systems.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Yes - Telarc's later recordings used lots o' mics - Botanico92007 17:42:36 03/30/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.